Take precautions as heat-health alert issued
Published on: 15th June 2022
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has issued a heat-health alert. It covers from midnight on Thursday 16 June until midnight on Saturday 18 June 2022. This alert covers North West London, the whole of Greater London and many other UK regions.
You can monitor the weather forecast on BBC weather. Temperatures in North West London are forecast to reach 32C (18C night-time) on Friday 17 June 2022.
However, you might want to consider taking precautions immediately as higher than average temperatures are expected from Wednesday 15 June 2022 (today) when it could reach 27C by late afternoon.
The UKHSA provides the following tips to you to keep safe.
- look out for those who may struggle to keep themselves cool and hydrated – older people, those with underlying conditions and those who live alone are particularly at risk
- stay cool indoors by closing curtains on rooms that face the sun – and remember that it may be cooler outdoors than indoors
- drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol
- never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
- try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm, when the UV rays are strongest
- walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a wide-brimmed hat, if you have to go out in the heat
- avoid physical exertion in the hottest parts of the day
- make sure you take water with you if you are travelling
- take care and make sure to follow local safety advice if you are going into the water to cool down